SharpSSH isn't compatible with VMWare ESX

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2008 at 4:58 AM
I am unable to transfer compressed files with this lib without damaging the file.
I did some testing transfering text files. In each case, I uploaded the text file with WinSCP, and the same text file with SharpSSH. Also I only transfered in binary mode.
First I started with a null byte. Both the WinSCP version and SharpSSH version uploaded matched as far as the bytes and the md5.
Then I moved on to a text file with all 255 characters in it, which also matched. Then moved on to a text file with 500 mb worth of each 255 characters in a line over and over again, which matched also.
Moving on to compressed files...
I uploaded a 1 mb zip file from windows, and it matched with the one uploaded by winscp.
Then tried a 50 mb file, and it was corrupt. The zip test told me it had crc errors. I did similar tests with gzip, bzip, and rar, all with errors and corrupt files. Uncompressed tars as well did not transfer properly. In each case, the file size matched but the md5 checksum did not.
When I transfered a compressed tar, and try to extract, this is what I get...
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
This is with all versions of SharpSSH, not just the one here.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2008 at 1:40 AM
Thank you for mentioning this occurs with the original 1.1.x code that will save me a lot of time looking at it. Can you tell me what SSH host server you are using. I think sshd --version will give you the info.
Sep 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM
Edited Sep 12, 2008 at 4:59 AM
The problem occurs with OpenSSH v3.6 on ESX. I'm running the latest version of ESX. You can not upgrade OpenSSH on ESX as it will damage your ESX system.

Ubuntu Server, which ships OpenSSH v4.7p1, did not at all have this problem. I have tested other clients like putty, and winscp, and they did not have a problem with any version of OpenSSH.
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2008 at 12:47 AM
Are you using SCP or SFTP mode?
What version of ESX host are you running?
Oct 21, 2008 at 5:13 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2008 at 5:20 AM
I am using the latest ESX, v3.5 I believe, but we always use the latest ESX and I've tested both SCP and SFTP with the same results, however I ended up using SFTP because I get an error trying to transfer large files with SCP using SharpSSH, but that's not really a problem because SFTP doesn't give the error, it's just the corrupt files which I can't live with because these are backup VMWare machines for disaster recovery purposes we're transferring and they need to work after they're transfered. SharpSSH is an ingenious bit of code, I just wish it worked with ESX.
May 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Upgrading to Vmware ESX v3.5 U4 will resolve the issue.